This bright and cheery Pesto recipe is full of tasty herbal energizers like Dandelion, Cayenne, and Lemon to get the body moving into Spring. This nutrient dense pesto, packed with Vitamin C, as well as Potassium, Magnesium, and Calcium, aids in digestion and helps gently tone the liver..
Recipe (Yields 2 Cups):
- 2 Cups packed fresh Dandelion Leaves (rough chopped, or torn into a few pieces)
- 1/4 Cup Basil leaves (optional- I absolutely love basil so i couldn’t resist a little thrown in the mix)
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Walnuts
- 2 Tablespoons fresh Parmesan cheese or 1/2 Teaspoon nutritional yeast (Vegan)
- Juice of 1 Lemon (or roughly 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice)
- Zest of one lemon
- 1-2 medium garlic cloves (2 cloves for garlic lovers)
- 1/4 Teaspoon cayenne (or start with a pinch and add to taste)
- Sea salt to taste
Place dandelion leaves in food processor, and pulse a few times to break down leaves. Scrape down sides of processor with spatula. Add all other ingredients and pulse to desired consistency (the longer you pulse, the smoother the pesto will be). Enjoy on pasta, your favorite protein, as a sandwich spread, or tossed with veggies.
See all of Nicole Worthington's articles