Hold your breath! Breathe! Hold your breath! Breathe!
Ever had that feeling that you forgot to breathe for minutes on end? Oh man, I have! I often have to remind myself to just inhale, exhale and repeat. Why is it that this simple, and involuntary body function that keeps us alive is something we forget to do? That we prevent ourselves from doing something that comes so naturally? This is always a tell-tale sign for me that I’m stressed. Stress affects all of us differently; some of us completely ignore the stress until our bodies give way to sickness or exhaustion, while others will completely shut down at the first sign of stressors. How are everyone’s stress capacities different? I engage and observe so many folks on a daily basis who struggle with different stresses, some big, some small, all affecting the quality of life. It saddens me that our cultural demands cause most of these stresses- that being alive can be stressful in and of itself!
These are some of my favorite ways to de-stress:
1. Try this breathing exercise to slow the mind down and become more
grounded in your moment.
2. Turn off your electrical devices for 30 minutes a day. I know it’s hard! Our lives revolve around our little devices that store all our phone numbers, track all our important dates and remind us where and when to be. However, our brains need to rest; and constantly being over stimulated causes us to over-extend our already exhausted states of mind, therefore increasing our daily stress levels. Instead try drinking a cup of Skullcap and Lemon Balm tea and letting your mind go blank. Sometimes I imagine a broom sweeping out my thoughts if I have trouble letting go.
3. Take a bath! Ooooooh, yeah! Soak every square inch of your body. Grab a handful of Roses, Lavender, Lemon Balm and Motherwort. Place them into a big muslin bag and soak in a steamy tub. Breathe deep and let your mind wander.
4. Go for a long walk, city hike or a jog. Anytime if I feel like I need clarity or just cant seem to shake the feeling of being overwhelmed I go for a run! Often I find if I can just get the excess of energy (or over stimulation of my nervous system) out of my body, my stress levels balance and I can see a clear path ahead.
5. Balance out the Adrenals! This is a life long process of understanding balance in life. Here is a tincture blend that I enjoy working with when I am feeling a little stressed: Nettle, Peppermint, Ashwagandha, Reishi, Lemon Balm, Skullcap, Maca, Rhodiola, Eleuthero. It’s tasty and a great way to rebuild and balance out life when things get a little out of whack!
To set up an herbal consultation with me email: firstname.lastname@example.org